or somewhere like it:
Here are some reasons why (according to their website, and things i strongly want to prevent):
Sexual violence is not something that happens to other people in other places. It can−and does−happen everyday right here in Kansas City, devastating the victims and their families. Consider these facts:
- 1 in 4 girls and 1 in 7 boys will be sexually abused in their lifetime
- 1 in 8 women have been raped
- A rape is reported in the greater Kansas City area every other day.
- Only 16% of all rapes are ever reported
- Over 80% of sexual violence is committed by someone the victim knows, not by a stranger
- Children, young women ages 15-25 and persons with developmental disabilities are the most frequent victims of sexual violence
The damage done by sexual violence can last a lifetime. Through our programs, MOCSA hopes to prevent these crimes from happening and help victims become survivors.
I think I’m going to take the advocacy route (technically Social Work Administrative & Advocacy Practice Concentration) via my MSW (masters program), if I get accepted.